Friday, July 5, 2013

Matte my dear

I kept noticing all those pretty manicures that were matted and couldn't figure it out! Well, I went on a challenge this week. I did a LOT of matte work. I used NYC Matte Topcoat for these "experiments". Think of Dr. Frankenstein trying to create the monster here ok? Then I had an awesome email on a blog from Julep (which I cannot find now to reference so I apologize) that said to make a good white manicure is to put your basecoat on then a thin white then matte coat then reapply white then your regular topcoat. Well, this got my mind a-thinkin'.... So I decided to test out *that* theory. EUREKA! I figured it out. The manicure you will see here (don't mind the nail that is little it attacked a mattress that was being moved darn Jedi powers failed me again) is a result of that build up and then some. So let me explain what I did. I switched my basecoat as I have been wanting to test out Dazzle base (I really really LIKE it!). I place my base down and let it dry good about 2 minutes. I picked a bottom coat color (for the index I picked Essie Marshmallow) and put a thin layer and near immediately put the matte topper on it. Once it dried (I wanted 10 minutes), I put another layer of Essie Marshmallow and put in my jewels to dry with it. Now applying jewels is NOT easy. I goofed and had to redo it as I touched the polish and it went kaput. Once the second try went good I covered with another layer of matte (including the jewels) to give it a flat subdued look. Now you can pick any combo you want to do this idea but I do suggest matte in the middle of layers now to give it the secure look and not as much mess or fuss. To get the "marbled" look on my other nails while they were still drying I put white on the color to subdue it and enhance the red or blue or pink. I did the same method of putting a matte layer in between. This method with so many layers does take a while to fully dry so please make sure you don't do this before going in the TARDIS or off to fight the Rebels. I would suggest putting on a good movie or marathon (might I suggest Princess Bride for a movie?) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment